Thursday, September 30, 2010

eat honeycrisp apples.

One of the thrills of fall is eating Honeycrisp apples, which in my opinion are the best apples in the whole world. The Honeycrisp harvest season ranges from September 15th to October 10th, and we wait eagerly for them to arrive each year. See if you can get your hands on some this week and savor the goodness of what an apple can be.

This delicious variety was produced as part of a University of Minnesota apple breeding program in the 60's, using a cross pollination of Macoun and Honeygold. The original seedling was planted back in 1962.



Mike and I were thrilled to take our first bite of Honeycrisp this fall in its birthstate of Minnesota. I actually thought about how Laura Ingalls got fruit in her stocking for Christmas, and how I would be very happy to get an apple if it was a Honeycrisp.

1 comment:

  1. They are my very favorite apple too! My kids prefer them but I try to get them to eat other kinds...out of season=out of our price range :)

    ReplyDelete